12.08.2014

jenna bean.

Sweet Jenna Bean,

When it rolls off my tongue, it sounds like "jelly bean," which is what we have called you since the day we brought you home. Of all your nicknames, it's my favorite because it's so accurate. Everything about you is one happy, sweet jelly bean.

You don't know this yet, but you will: birthdays are such a gut check. They are good at getting us to pause and take stock in this life. I'm overcome with such joy when I think about what you have brought to our lives in just one year, and how far we've come.

This first year is such a marathon sprint. With your patience and deep belly giggles, you've allowed me to slow down, loosen my grip and make mistakes, and attempt to do it all with a bit of grace. You've made me tougher on the outside but so much softer on the inside. Pregnancy hormones have nothing on you.

It's so very hard to describe just how magical you are, but if you can take the warmth of this Christmas season and multiply it 365 days, then you might have an idea of the light and love you share with our family every single day. You are my daily dose of twinkle lights, all year round.

Just the thought of your happy smile makes me crumble with such gratitude that you are mine.
Happy birthday, my big one year old.

I love you forever.

Thanks to my amazing sister-in-law who captured these moments and my heart at Jenna's first birthday party with her cousins last night. 

1 comment:

Karen said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Jenna.
What a wonderful set of pictures and such a heartfelt letter to your darling baby.
Best of the season to you, Alison (and your sweet family, of course!)
xo,
Karen