6.12.2013

coffee cake, revisited.

With each time I make this recipe, I find that I love it more and more. This time, however, I made coffee cake muffins and while there is something amazing about a thick, deep cake, I love the grab-and-go of muffins, a quality that also makes them sweetly shareable.
I have been jones'ing for this cake for a while now, and with a get together with my gal pals and their kids over the weekend, I had a great excuse to make a batch. This really is an easy recipe, but taking the cake to muffins was a bit of an experiment, so I'll share with you a few notes if you're interested in trying it. 
As per normal, follow The Barefoot Contessa's fabulous recipe for Sour Cream Coffee Cake. If you want to start by making a cake, take a look at my original post

For cupcakes:
+ the recipe will yield about 18-24 muffins, depending on how hefty you fill the muffin cups.
+ to attempt to keep them the same size and therefore provide a more even bake, I used a small ice cream scoop and dumped two scoops of cake batter on the bottom, then layered in the crumble, then one more scoop of batter, topped with a sprinkle of crumble. I did it like an assembly line so I could keep my head straight. 
+ the batter is really sticky, and I find that the less you smooth out the batter, the better results you get with the marble effect. 
+ baking time will certainly vary; I baked for 25 minutes and didn't make a point to check them before the clock ran out. But, if I had, I might have taken them out a few minutes earlier. I'd recommend checking after 20 minutes.
+ the icing is nearly as good as the crumble, and it's so worth it. Let the muffins cool completely before drizzling, and if your icing is too thick, a few dribbles of water will help you get it to the perfect consistency.

And this is what it looks like after your assistant - I mean toddler daughter - helps style the shot (she was in charge of the napkins, and took it very seriously) and then sneaks a bite when I'm not looking. This was bite two of three.
She cracks me up. And she also loved the muffins. 

1 comment:

Karen said...

Alison,
I love the idea of the muffins with the goodness of a slice of coffee cake. What a great idea...especially when you're serving a group.
Thanks for giving us your tips. This is going in my 'must try' recipe file.
Karen