4.23.2013

carrot cake cupcakes.

I have a major soft spot for carrot cake. I think it largely has to do with the frosting, which is my all-time favorite: cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar. You just cannot do cream cheese frosting without the butter, in my opinion. I've tried, and it's just not the same.
Eddie's mom also loves carrot cake, so we celebrated her birthday this week with my favorite batch of carrot cake cupcakes. No surprise here: the recipe comes from The Barefoot Contessa. They are among the lightest of carrot cakes I've tried, and just last night, while polishing off the last few bites, Eddie told me they might be his all-time favorite cupcake.

You can follow the entire recipe here, or, if you open up Barefoot Contessa: Parties!, you'll find it on page 204.
A few bits, if you're interested:
+ my oven is so not great, so instead of baking it as she suggests, I bake at 350 degrees for the total bake time, and check after 30 minutes.
+ on the frosting: I sift the confection's sugar, as per the recipe in the book, and I think it really makes for the perfect consistency. I never skip this step.
+ how to frost: I always reference the magnolia technique from Camille Styles.
+ for garnish: jumbo confetti from Wilton.
Beautiful freesia from my mom, for our special day. Thank you for your sweet notes!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Alison,
Carrot cake is my favorite so I have to make sure we are having guests so I don't eat them all myself!
These look divine.
Karen