3.19.2013

homemade taco seasoning for fish fridays.

Taco Fridays have become a little bit of a weekly tradition in our house, which is really nice come this time of year when we honor the season of Lent. We like to make ours with some spicy grilled shrimp, and each week brings some variations: guacamole, spicy cream sauce, black bean pico de gallo and so on. But we always, always spice up our shrimp with a rub of some homemade taco seasoning and a tiny bit of olive oil.
I had read about some not-so-healthy ingredients in the pre-made seasoning packets sold at the store, so in the past couple of years, I've been mixing up my own seasoning in big batches so it's always ready to go. I follow this easy recipe, which I stumbled on after a simple Google search.

Homemade Taco Seasoning from AllRecipes.com

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and store in an air-tight container.

When it comes to the tacos: I'm heavy handed with the spices, so after I've peeled and cleaned the shrimp, I give a really, really good dusting and mix it with a tiny drizzle of olive oil to coat. I grill the shrimp on a grill pan and last week, topped the tacos with some finely chopped lettuce and a black bean salsa, which doesn't really require much but a can of rinsed black beans, finely chopped tomatoes and onion, a tiny clove of garlic minced, salt, pepper and a good squeeze of lemon or lime. The longer it sits in the frig, the better it gets.

My other favorite topping, by the way is a spicy mayo. I follow DALS' tip and add a tiny bit of ketchup for some balance and sweetness.

Are you cooking for Fish Fridays? Any recommendations to share?

Shrimp taco nestled - well, squished, really - into Garnish's rectangular pint-sized berry box

No comments: