3.27.2013

all-natural easter egg coloring.

Last year, we colored eggs the day before Easter. A little late in the game, but we did it. And we did it using the store-bought tablets. Which are totally fine and fun.

This year, though, we happily used up some produce and following Annie's Eats' guide, did some all-natural Easter egg dying of our own. Going after a muted palette, here's what we used.
Watching fruits and vegetables simmer away reminded me of the early days of making Mari's baby food. I remember washing color-tinted water down the drain after many rounds of cooked vegetables and this process of chopping, boiling, simmering and steaming was all very familiar for me.

After it was all said and done (and peeled!), we were able to eat some of the fruits - literally - of our labor. From the apple flesh, we added to our applesauce stash with a quick steam and blend, and juiced the oranges for one beautiful glass of freshly-squeezed O.J. It was a busy, messy day, but so worth it.

If you're into egg dying as an experience, this is for you. More elbow grease is required, for sure. But it's very rewarding and fun for kids, young and old. I will always love dying Easter eggs, and I think I've found a new tradition for our family.

If a pale, soft palette is what you're after this year, I highly, highly recommend Annie's tutorial, plus the link to the original Better Homes & Gardens article on the topic (and, if your eggs are feeling a bit too pale, I'd recommend having food coloring on-hand for backup).

I will share with you the pretty, final results tomorrow.

PS: don't forget to enter the giveaway for the turquoise-and-white stripes iPhone 5 case! Giveaway closes tomorrow.

No comments: