1.10.2013

app alert: white bean flatbreads with prosciutto + cheese.

And rosemary! Don't forget the delicious rosemary. I have saved this Food & Wine flatbread recipe since our last Foxen shipment in November, to be enjoyed with their 2011 Chenin Blanc. It brings together so many things that I love on a crispy pita: white beans, proscuitto, fontina cheese, rosemary and the topper: chopped marcona almonds.
I made this twice over the holiday, and think I've omitted a step (and some oil!) for you. One thing is for sure: a salted nut, preferably a marcona is a must. You think you have enough salt from the prosciutto, but the crunchy nut topping puts this over the edge into hors d'oeuvres bliss.

We snacked on this with Eddie's parents, our first dinner guests of the new year. We celebrated so many things, including a new adventure for them on the other side of the U.S., as they prepared for a move from Southern California to Miami. We fought back more than a few bittersweet tears, watching Mari giggle like crazy with her grandparents.

I made this with Eddie's dad in mind, for whom peanuts are a fifth food group, and we all agreed this happy hour treat paired very well with a glass of crisp white wine and/or a swig of good beer.
Best enjoyed warm out of the oven, but so yummy that you'll eat it cold, here's a new years-worthy flatbread recipe you will love.

White Bean Flatbreads with Prosciutto & Cheese
Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine, via Foxen Winery
Yield: 4 flatbreads

4 pocketless whole wheat pitas
One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon crushed pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus extra for garnish
2 ounces chopped sliced prosciutto
1/4 cup salted marcona almonds*
1 1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese

Preheat the broiler. Position a rack as close the the heat source as possible.

In a bowl, mash the beans, red pepper and rosemary with a fork. Mix in the proscuitto. Set aside.

Warm a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Toast each side of the pita breads until pretty crispy and golden.

Place pitas on a baking sheet and spread each with the bean mixture. Top with a sprinkle of cheese and then almonds. Broil for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the nuts are lightly toasted. Let cool sligtly, garnish with fresh rosemary and cut into wedges. Serve warm with your favorite white wine.

A quick note: for the second round of pitas, I refrigerated half the bean and proscuitto mixture two days before using it and it saved just fine. You could prep everything a day (or so) in advance and have warm flatbread appetizers in less than 5 minutes.

*My new favorite dry, lightly salted - and not greasy - marcona almonds comes from ... Kirkland. In bulk. Available at your local Costco! Or, in my case: from my mom because she always finds the best finds.

4 comments:

Belle on Heels said...

Yum! So many delicious things all together. Marcona almonds are so addictive!

Becca said...

Yummm! Love how easy these look, too! A friend recently made Brie with chopped mangoes and honey; that's another great and quick appetizer idea.

Eden Marie said...

This looks so so good! Love your blog! :)

Eden Marie said...

Hi and thank you for your sweet comment! When I changed my name, I did a post about it, and made sure that everyone following me knew that I had changed it (via twitter/facebook/etc). Luckily, blogger did a fine job of changing my url (I used to have a dot com). I think as long as you let your readers know you're thinking of changing it everything should go smoothly. :) As far as wordpress, I don't know a thing. haha Wish I could be more help!

xo