12.05.2012

'tis the season: designing a holiday party invitation.

This invitation for our little craft and cookie party on Sunday brought everything together that I learned from Nicole's Classes, all tied up in a bow (literally, of Divine Twine from Shop Sweet Lulu, of course). It took me weeks to do it, but I did it. And I'm really proud of it!
paper{whites} // holiday craft + cookie party invitation
After a much-needed schooling in typography from Melanie Burk, I designed this invitation in Adobe Illustrator, which I now know how to use, thanks to Alma Loveland. I cannot believe I am just now discovering the world of AI. Is it too dramatic to say that it's changed my life?

So, with Alma and Melanie's voices ringing in my head, I designed this invitation as my final project for my Typography class. For a really small group, I was able to customize them with personalized gift tags, twine and address labels. Oh, the joy of doing just six invitations for six really special girls!
paper{whites} // holiday craft + cookie party invitation
Tags were cut from Paper Source card stock; kraft address labels cut from Paper Source adhesive label sheets. All were done with a good old fashioned ruler, paper cutter and scissors. I stamped a white circle over the hole punch using an eraser from a trusty No. 2.

You'll notice there are some creases in the kraft labels in the picture above; they came from a quick fold over so I could cut symmetrical angles. Once I removed the backing and stuck them to the envelopes, I was able to flatten the seams.
paper{whites} // holiday craft + cookie party invitation
paper{whites} // holiday craft + cookie party invitation
Fonts used: Carolyna and Novecento Ultra Light. My obsessions for the moment.
paper{whites} // holiday craft + cookie party invitation
paper{whites} // holiday craft + cookie party invitation
Also from Paper Source: red square envelopes. Hand lettering on tags and labels by yours truly, with a white gelly roll pen.
paper{whites} // holiday craft + cookie party invitation
Custom return address stamp designed by Lynette and produced by Paperwink a few months ago for Mari's birthday party invitations. It's one of my favorite possessions. Highly recommend in the gift giving department, btw.
paper{whites} // holiday craft + cookie party invitation
Up tomorrow: craft party pics. We made... you guessed it: gift tags. More goodness to come!

6 comments:

mary said...

sooo cute!!!!! love them!!

Alma said...

These look AMAZING!! Excellent work, Alison!

Garden, Home and Party said...

Alison,
Thanks for the tutorial, I may have to borrow some of these creative tips.
Karen

Sheungology said...

These look stylish and clean. They're great!

Andrea @ Squareview Studios said...

L love your modern & clean design, Alison! I'm a Nicole's Classes devotee as well. LOVE them!

Michelle Poe said...

Hi!!! Clearly I haven't been paying enough attention to paperwhites, I love everything you're making for your paper goodies. AND you have that lovely penmanship to boot. That's so unfair!! We must talk shop. And def NOT too dramatic, AI changed my life as well!!!! xoxo Michelle