12.11.2012

gifting: for your little one.

Back in July, when Mari turned one, we didn't do much in the way of gifting. We glossed over the gifts in favor of a really fun party, and that in and of itself was the greatest gift for all of us. But, back then, I really, really, really wanted to get her a play kitchen. Did I say really? I held out, and did some research. I even purchased one and then promptly returned it, because at one point I thought I'd try to make one.

Fast forward a few months, and a lot of deliberating but no doing. I decided that I could glam up an Ikea play kitchen, and give it a little personality, just for Mari. So, here's what I've got and am piecing together for Christmas morning.
one // two // three // four // five // six // seven

The palette inspiration for her kitchen set-up came from Etsy seller Lauren of Little Lilly Lulu, who is amazing, by the way. I messaged her with my master plan, and she came back with suggestions and options, and not only did she make the apron you see above, but she customized two play towels for Mari, with coordinating fabric scraps. The whole ensemble makes me so happy and I can't wait to bring it all together!

What am I missing? We've already got some play food, and have hinted to grandparents what would make good additions. We do need play plates/bowls, etc. but Ikea only sells stoneware plates, which seem heavy and not too toddler-friendly. I'm thinking melamine. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Garden, Home and Party said...

Alison,
Great minds think alike. Olivia is receiving a kitchen for Christmas and I bought the same kitchen pans and whatnot from Ikea. I think they're charming. I wish we could find some dishes that aren't breakable...keep me informed. :-)
Karen

Becca said...

This is such a great idea to dress up an IKEA kitchen! I've been planning to get Lena a kitchen for her second birthday in April and have been looking at the IKEA one for about a year. I'm wondering now if I might make her one by refurbishing a TV cabinet... but we'll see how much time I have!

paper{whites} said...

Becca - you can totally do it with a TV cabinet (or old kitchen cabinet)... check out what Young House Love did (search Clara's kitchen), as well as the link I provided in my post - it comes with detailed instructions and links back to the original construction instructions for it. If you don't go in that direction, I'll let you know how the Ikea kitchen goes!

Anonymous said...

My daughter, Charlotte, is getting that kitchen for Christmas, too. I love that kitchen cart to go with it and hold all of the food. I will have to add that to the list. I have been reading your blog since we met at Christie's good-bye party. Such great ideas and I just love Ina, too, so your blog is right up my alley!