11.14.2012

thanksgiving recipe week: roasted beet + goat cheese salad.

With arugula and roasted hazelnuts. Oh, yes. Roasted beets, flecks of goat cheese, roasted hazelnuts, atop a bed of arugula. No dressing required, really. Just a drizzle of honey and a quick squeeze of a lemon.
roasted beets, goat cheese & hazelnut salad from paper{whites}
Unlike the turkey and the stuffing, I really don't have an official recipe for this. It is a salad inspired by something I've tasted at one of our favorite spots - the Tin Roof Bistro. But, it's been a while, and I was reminded of the heavenly combination that is roasted beets and creamy goat cheese by my friend Lisa, who shared her roasted beet leftovers with me a few weeks ago. And I haven't been able to get them off my mind.

In Lisa's beet salad, she tossed in a sweet-flavored honey and apricot goat cheese, from Drake Family Farms, which should sound familiar to all Tin Roof/MB Post/Simmzy's devotees. The sweet goat cheese escaped my neighborhood, so instead I used plain goat cheese and added a honey drizzle. But if you can find Drake Family cheese - of any flavor - get it (Lisa buys hers at Whole Foods).

The natural flavors and sugars that come from roasting beets paired with goat cheese makes for such a good bite that there's not much to do here but throw everything together on a pretty platter. So, I'll share with you a very loose recipe that can be adapted to suit your taste. What I decided, though, is that beets work with turkey. And stuffing. And, goat cheese? Well, it works with everything.
roasted beets, goat cheese & hazelnut salad from paper{whites}
And a word about peeling hazelnuts: I did some Google'ing to get to the bottom of how to easily peel the nut. I am thankful to My Baking Addiction, who posted on the topic, citing Alice Medrich and Julia Child, so you know it works. Take a look at their method; it involves water and baking soda and between the juicy red beets and the dark hazelnuts, you will need a manicure after all this peeling, but it's so worth it. Promise.
roasted beets, goat cheese & hazelnut salad from paper{whites}
Roasted Beets, Goat Cheese & Hazelnut Salad
Serves 6

3 large red beets, peeled and cubed
3 golden beets, peeled and cubed
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup hazelnuts, peeled (see note above)
Handful or two (or three) of arugula
Drizzle of honey
Squeeze of a lemon

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a medium-sized bowl, toss beets with a good drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange beets in a single layer on a sheet pan (or two) and roast for about 20-30 minutes. Check at 15 minutes in, and toss for even roasting. Once caramelized (and delicious), remove from oven to cool, and transfer to a plate or bowl to sit at room temperature until ready to serve.

Meanwhile, dry roast the hazelnuts in a sauté pan over medium-low heat until you can smell the wonderful aroma of hazelnuts permeating your kitchen. Let cool and roughly chop. Set aside until plating.

Just before serving, on a platter, toss out an even layer of arugula as the salad base. Scatter the beets (and juices) on top of the arugula. Fleck goat cheese (a fork works well for this) and the hazelnuts over the salad. Add a quick drizzle of honey (if not using sweet goat cheese), a small squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper to taste.

One last note: I roasted the beets nearly seven hours before we enjoyed them. I let them sit at room temperature all day and they held up beautifully.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Okay, THIS recipe has my name all over it. Seriously, LOVE. I'm pinning now so I can make this once our remodeled kitchen is finished!