11.05.2012

hello, soup season.

California is still getting odd temperature spikes, and it's November. It was in the 80s in some parts over the weekend, but the nights are getting cooler and cooler, which puts me in a soup state-of-mind.

One of my favorite things to do with some down time is to catch up on DVR'd Barefoot Contessa episodes. I cued up this Italian Wedding Soup that's basically amped-up chicken noodle soup, with some extras, like fresh spinach, dill and the most delicious baked chicken meatballs you've ever had.
The meatballs are made with ground chicken and chicken sausage for a salty kick, plus some luxury with a bit of parm and pecorino romano. Because they're baked, they seem easier than your average fried meatballs, and they're healthier. Win win. I am also thinking they would make a great marriage with spaghetti. Note to self.

Like most brothy soups, this starts with carrots, celery and onion, which you can sauté while the meatballs bake, and when they are cooked through, it's perfect timing to bring everything together. Don't let the lengthy recipe scare you off. It's easier than it looks - dare I say really easy - and it's so cozy and delicious.
On the topic of chicken broth: of course The BC makes her own, and it's fabulous. I have yet to make chicken stock from scratch. In my life. I'm sure I'll get around to it someday. Until then, I have found my favorite canned organic chicken stock and recommend you do the same if you aren't super woman and don't have loads of homemade stock stored away in the freezer.

Speaking of broth, this soup calls for very tiny pasta, which thickens the broth the longer it cooks. Because I made our soup a few hours before we enjoyed it, I thinned it with some additional stock, in the final re-heat before serving. The recipe calls for 10 cups, but I would say I used nearly 12 when it was all said and done.

Other than that, I followed The BC's recipe to the very last measurement, and you can too, if you hop on over to FoodNetwork.com. You can also find it in Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics, page 72.

What soups are you cooking up this season?

4 comments:

Becca said...

Yum yum yum. This looks absolutely fabulous. I made a lemon chicken and orzo soup last week that also hit the spot, and I doubled the recipe so there was a week's worth of healthy, comforting leftovers! Here's the recipe:

http://makingroomwithus.blogspot.it/2012/10/lemony-chicken-orzo-soup-with-sweet.html

Garden, Home and Party said...

Alison,
Now, if it would return to the 60's instead of the 90 degree temps we had yesterday, I'd be ready to cook this. :-)
Karen

Kirsten said...

This looks so, so delish! I'm making this soooooon....it's perfect for Fall!

paper{whites} said...

All... it's so, so good. Enjoying leftovers on my lunch break and can't get enough! We also served up some to little Mari and she devoured it. Something special about the little pasta stars. This is a great go-to family soup!