9.14.2012

spa margaritas.

Happy Friday, friends! Let's toast to my birthday (today!) with a pitcher of these deliciously refreshing Spa Margaritas. Okay with you?
I made these last week for our September dinner party, and both Heather and I agreed that they were like sipping in a bit of the spa. These cocktails are Camille's clean and crisp agave nectar margaritas with some pureed cucumber that I didn't even strain. And that may make a bartender cringe, but I enjoyed tasting bits of cucumber as I sipped. And also - that just seemed like too much work.

It's a simple bebida - no triple sec, nor simple syrup need apply - and that's what I love most about this drink. You do have to get the blender out for the cucumbers, but it helps bring everything together beautifully. As with all good margarita recipes, you will get a good workout lime juicing. But I promise you: it's so worth it. This is a time when you really want the fresh juice and an electric juicer really comes in handy.
Spa Margaritas
Adapted from Camille Styles and Rick Bayless
Serves 4

1 English hothouse cucumber (or 2 small Persian cucumbers), peeled and cut into big chunks
3/4 cup good blanco tequila (that's the clear stuff, vs. the gold stuff)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup light agave nectar
Ice, cucumber and/or limes for garnish

In a blender, combine the cucumber, tequila and lime juice and process until it's as smooth as you can get it. Pour margarita mixture into a large pitcher and refrigerate, or serve immediately. To serve, add ice to four cocktail glasses (about 3/4 of the way) and pour margarita mixture over ice. Serve with a slice of cucumber or lime (cut a small slit in either and wedge onto rim of glass).

Quick optional note: if you like salt on the rim, before pouring margaritas, sprinkle a layer of kosher salt on a small saucer. Moisten the rim of your glass with a slice of lime and dip the rim into the saucer of salt. You can twist it a bit to get the salt to really hang on. Camille suggests only doing this on half the glass so as to not overpower the drink with salt, and I tend to agree. By the way, if you prefer a smoother cocktail, you can strain it before serving, a la Rick Bayless.
Cheers. Is it 5 o'clock? It is for me. Off to enjoy my birthday with my family. Have a lovely weekend!

1 comment:

Belle on Heels said...

These look so yummy! I LOATHE margaritas made from a mix (too sickly sweet for me) but something homemade like this looks so refreshing.