9.12.2012

september entertaining: friday nite grill.

Remember when I made my new year's intention to host a dinner party each month? This mission was 100% inspired by our September dinner party guests, Nick and Heather. And while I fell off the bandwagon for a bit, we brought back the monthly tradition last week, with white dahlias and alstroemeria to match a green-and-white-striped runner (from our wedding (!) - just love when I can pull one of those out).
Just the thought of newlyweds Nick and Heather makes me smile. It was their gorgeous wedding that brought us to Lake Tahoe in June and they were among our very first friends to meet Miss Mari. They're the kind of couple that invites you in to kick off your shoes, grab a cold brew, plop down on their couch and snuggle in for some good company (and around this time of year, Denver Broncos football). I wanted to return the favor at our house, and since we're still celebrating summer around here, with temps in the 80s and 90s, to the grill we went.

Here's the Friday night menu that we threw together, in between chatting, bathing and feeding Mari. Beats ordering pizza, though that is one of my very favorite things to do on a Friday night - and quite honestly, exactly what we will be doing this Friday night.
+ starters: guac, chips and margaritas
+ main: turkey and gorgonzola burgers with carmelized onions on grilled wheat buns
+ side: watermelon, prosciutto and  mint salad (just those three simple ingredients in a bowl)
+ side: Pasta, Pesto and Peas made the day before with all that leftover [frozen] pesto
+ dessert: mini frozen key lime pies

According to moi, here's what makes a special week-nite dinner possible:
+ a few things in the bank: guac to-go from out local Mexican restaurant that I glammed up with lemon juice and onion (avocados were in a sad state at our market); pre-made carmelized onions; and two things from the freezer: pre-made dessert and that pre-made pesto for the salad. Big fan of the pre-made.
+ grilling is very social and makes for an easy first course. Plus, no one gets stuck in the kitchen.
+ little details: colorful napkins, trays of margaritas upon arrival and dinner alfresco, under the twinkle lights.
I am still playing with the burger recipe so I can share it with you. It was inspired by my brother and Whitney who are serious grill masters. In the meantime, I'll have the starter margs for you this week, which I'm officially calling Spa Margaritas (thanks to Heather for the suggestion!). And next week, we'll talk mini key lime pies that keep in the freezer for weeks.

My juicer has been getting a good work out lately.

Condiment bowls from Arte Italica; white porcelain spoons from Crate & BarrelWicker-wrapped glasses from Privet House/Target; straws from Shop Sweet Lulu.

1 comment:

mary said...

oh. my. goodness. we have to get together for dinner! coasts, no matter, we'll make this happen! ;)