9.13.2012

photo basics.

I'm loving being back-to-school. Though it was very unintentional, I really timed this whole photo class thing well, because I feel right at home, studying and doing homework around this time of year.

I'm guessing you're like me, and you probably didn't grow up with the internets. In college, our commencement speaker proclaimed that "e-mail would be the wave of the future." I remember being very unimpressed and unaffected on that beautiful May day. This whole e-mail thing was going to take over the world? Eh.

So, 13 years later, I have to admit he was onto something. I'm a blogger, with three different e-mail addresses, taking an online course and loving it. I love being able to learn at my own pace, when it's convenient for me and in my own environment. I am engaged in a way I did not think was possible with the virtual classroom.

I think a lot of it has to do with the brilliance and format of Nicole's Classes, and if you are at all into photography and/or graphic design, I urge you to see what she offers. I am certain Illustrator 101 is in my future.

In our first week, we learned the basics of exposure; the relationship of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Slowly, these three principles are starting to click, ish. In our weekly live chat, Nicole said it will really come together in two weeks. Until then, I wanted to share what I thought were my three best shots from our homework (yes, there is homework!), shot with my Nikon with a 18-55m f/3.5-5.6 lens.
{1/50 at f/4, ISO 100} 
{1/500 at f/4, ISO 800}
{1/40 at f/4.5, ISO 400}
I know that this is just the toe dip in the pool. So much more to go. But I am very proud to finally look at those numbers above and have any sort of clue what they mean. It feels so good. Thank you, Nicole.

PS: recognize the dahlia?

1 comment:

nicole hill gerulat said...

Thanks, Alison! I'm so glad you are able to control your camera! Gives us so much freedom to create really beautiful photographs.