9.05.2012

cooking with greens.

In our last CSA small box, we got a beautiful bouquet of rainbow chard. I've seen it, I've read about it, but I've never actually cooked with it.
Trying to keep up with my new idea, to the books I went for a quick and easy way to cook the colorful greens. Nothing got my wheels turning. I was craving something creamy, but healthy (I tell myself it is possible) and so I'm thankful, once again, to the world wide web, for I found a simple, generic creamed chard recipe... with pine nuts. Sold!

This is a delicious and easy side dish that appears very applicable to greens of any kind - kale, spinach, what have you. I will be playing with this recipe again and again.

Creamed Rainbow Swiss Chard with Pine Nuts
adapted from The Food Network
Serves four

1 large bunch rainbow swiss chard, stemmed, leaves coarsely chopped (or, insert your green of choice)
1 large shallot, diced
6 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons roasted pine nuts

Combine card, shallot and 1/2 cup water in a large saute pan over high heat. Bring to a simmer and lower to medium, cover and cook, stirring frequently until chard is very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the cream cheese, nutmeg and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the cream cheese melts and the mixture just bubbles around the edges. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chard and shallots to the cheese mixture, leaving any excess liquid in the pot. Mix well, and season to taste. Top with roasted pine nuts.
By the way, I never would have given the Mari-approved chard a chance if it weren't for Tanaka Farms. Loving the CSA program.

I never knew how much I could love a tiny, little hand. Look at that thumb!

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Swiss chard...yum:)! And pretty photos too!