8.20.2012

house news: we joined a csa.

I feel so legit, joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). I'm always reading about people doing amazing things with produce, while supporting local, organic farming, and I'm happy to say that I've jumped on the band wagon.
Today marks only our second delivery of Tanaka Farms' Small Box. Our first included all sorts of beautiful things, like kale, carrots, green beans, watermelon, grapefruit and mark my words: the best onion I have ever, ever tasted. Probably because it was a Maui onion. It was also the size of a small basketball and it lasted us for more than a few meals.

Besides the good, fresh, organic food, I'm especially psyched to be supporting Tanaka Farms. It was from their original tiny farm stand off the 405 freeway near Wild Rivers (OC friends: remember that place? It's coming back) that I enjoyed the juiciest strawberries, learned to like corn-on-the-cob and see first-hand what real farming can produce. We grew up with Tanaka, and now their local CSA deliveries reach all the way up to the South Bay (and likely, to an area near you). So now, we can all eat even healthier, a bit more veggie'r and Mari can taste my childhood, so to speak.

With meal planning in full swing, this adds a new dimension: planning for a surprise selection of fresh produce every two weeks. This is going be fun.

If you are in the Orange County-ish area, Tanaka Farms is worth a stop, especially for the wee ones. You can tour the crops (right now: harvest tours and watermelon tours), and starting on Sept. 27, it's time for the Pumpkin Patch Tours.

1 comment:

Garden, Home and Party said...

Alison,
Thanks for this, it reminds me that I take Tanaka's farm stand down the hill for granted.
I'm happy to hear they have started offering the Small Box, I want to make sure they stay around.
Karen