7.10.2012

dinner tonite: salmon salad.

With meal planning and journaling becoming a bit of a habit, we're eating healthier, and that feels good. I have Dinner: A Love Story (DALS) to thank for giving me the kick in the pants to get moving in the right direction, and I had the pleasure of trying a deliciously healthy and filling DALS recipe last week, and fresh salmon salad with one of my favorite summer eats: fresh corn from the cob.
Because I can't pass up dill when it comes to salmon, I subbed it in for cilantro and opted to roast the potatoes vs. boil. While I was at it, I tossed in some chunks of onion, so in they went with the spuds while I got the rest of the dish prepped. Tomatoes are a must for next time (sometimes I run out, and sometimes I forget) because there will certainly be a next time.

This is a perfect week-night summer salad that's flexible, adaptable and elegant enough for company, and if you chop and prep ahead of time, it's just a matter of popping things in and out of the oven. I could not have made this, however, without Eddie, who helps get dinner on the table every night, in between bath and story time, and puts up with barking instructions from the tub. Totally normal in our household.

Dinner: A Love Story's Salmon Salad
Serves 4, with leftovers

For the vinaigrette:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
Squeeze of fresh lemon
1/2 cup good olive oil

For the vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients together and set aside.

For the salad:
1 pound salmon fillet
Salt and pepper
4 large potatoes or several small potatoes, scrubbed and halved (I like fingerling or purple or both)
2 ears of corn, shucked
Handful of thin green beans, trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 English hothouse cucumber, diced
5 to 6 scallions, chopped (white and green parts)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or in my case, dill)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Season salmon with salt and pepper and place in foil-lined glass baking dish and roast for 15 minutes (alternatively, you can grill salmon - see DALS note). Remove from oven, set aside.

Meanwhile, add the potatoes to boiling water and cook for about 12 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon (or this!) and add to large bowl.* Add the corn to to the same pot of water and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Remove to cool and slice off kernels directly into salad bowl (use another bowl, upside down, and see this trick for cutting corn from the cob). Add the beans to the pot of water and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and add to salad bowl.

Add salmon (gently remove the skin if you like, and the fish will break up nicely as you incorporate it into the salad), tomatoes, cucumber, scallions and cilantro (or dill) to salad bowl and toss with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a crusty slice of bread to soak up all that vinaigrette goodness.

By the way, you can watch DALS' Jenny Rosenstrach make this salad on Today and see how really simple it is!

*Since the oven was already hot, I roasted potatoes (and I'd suggest adding some onion, if you have it), drizzled in olive oil, salt and pepper on a foil-lined baking sheet for about 25-30 minutes at 425 degrees.

2 comments:

Belle on Heels said...

Yummy, yummy! I love DALS; they have the best recipes. I'm really into their curried carrots. Delicious!

Garden, Home and Party said...

Alison,
I love salmon and this looks so delicious. I will definitely be making this in the not too distant future (read: next week).
Thanks,
Karen