4.05.2012

nestle's chocolate chip cookies.

Does everyone have their own favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe? Probably, yes. I'm not an uber chocolate fan (gasp!), but my mom made a fabulous batch of cookies a few weeks ago, so I got chocolate-inspired and tried a couple of recipes with, regrettably, little success.

Back to the source I went, and assuming her cookies came from a family recipe (or even The BC's), I was surprised to learn that it was Nestle's, and that in her esteemed baking career, that that has always been her favorite. Monica Geller, anyone?
After the success of a from-the-box pasta dish, and with the Friends anthem singing in my head, I followed the recipe on the bag o'chips and made my first batch of slightly undercooked Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies. It kind of felt like making my first pot of coffee. And that I should get a pat on the back for finally doing something that so many of you have probably been doing for years.

I'm not the first blogger in the world to proclaim that I've found my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, but I finally have. We sampled them after pizza night with Krisa, and for me, it was perfect end to a long week.

Here's my take on Nestle's classic recipe, with milk chocolate chips.

Original Nestle Toll House Milk Chocolate Morsel Cookies
Makes 4-5 dozen cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups Nestle Toll House milk chocolate morsels
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl, whisk together completely and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture in three batches, scraping the sides of the bowl with each addition. Fold in chocolate morsels and nuts.

Drop by rounded teaspoon or small ice cream scoop onto baking sheets and bake for 9 to 11 minutes until lightly golden, but do not overbake. Don't go far, and keep a close eye (and if you're like me, you might even slightly underbake so your cookies are extra chewy).

Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

1 comment:

MoKnows said...

Maybe you should make these for Book club ;)