2.21.2012

feb. entertaining: brunch bunch.

I'm happy to say that two months in, I'm sticking to at least one of my 2012 intentions. This month's entertaining assignment: gal pals. This public list thing is good for commitment, I tell ya.

Over the years, time spent with my best girls has gradually evolved. In our 20s, when we were roommates, girl time was all the time. Then, as some of us dove in and out of relationships, get togethers were shared over cocktails and high heels (who are we kidding - I was usually in these), sometimes tears and a good dose of Meg Ryan movies. And now, 16 years later, six marriages and three babies in the bunch, brunch is our thing. And yes, cocktails are still involved. We just start earlier.
Except on Sunday.

Now the number of pregnant women is almost equal to the number of babies (life is so good!) and so, we enjoyed a little virgin pomegranate spritzer, compliments of The BC. I got the house all cleaned - which, by the by, is one thing I actually love about entertaining: it forces the spring clean - arranged some flowers and tried a couple new recipes, starting with this one.
The Barefoot Contessa's Pomegranate Breakfast Soda
Serves: 4

16 ounces pomegranate juice
16 ounces sparking water
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon superfine sugar

Mix the ingredients together and serve over ice with a lime wedge. And maybe a stripey straw.

A quick note - I think this drink got better as it sat. I was afraid the bubbles would de-bubble but they really didn't. The later I sipped, the better it tasted. Also: double it. Everyone went in for seconds.

PS: later this week, I'll have recipes from the main course.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Alison,
LOL! Yes, this is why I entertain...it kind of inspires you to clean, spruce up the fresh flowers and cook a recipe or two that you've wanted to try. Way to go!
This breakfast soda sounds yummy.
karen