1.23.2012

not your mom's french onion dip.

Eddie loves french onion dip. You know, the kind you buy in a packet, whip with sour cream and makes a perfect marriage with Ruffles? I eat it, but it's not my favorite, but it's his, and so for years, I've wanted to make this BC classic from her first cookbook.

We finally enjoyed this dip last weekend, and it's a quick one, once you get your onions caramelized. I think I was a little passive with the heat, for it took them a bit longer to caramelize than suggested. And, while she's the master, and I usually don't stray too far off the recipe, I may go easy on the butter and oil next time around. But, oh, there will be a next time. There will be a next time.
Pan-fried Onion Dip from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, page 53
Yield: 2 big cups

2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Cut the onions in half, and then slice them into 1/8"-think half-rounds (adds up to about 3 cups of onions). Heat the oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned (really browned) and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.

Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well.

The BC suggests serving at room temperature, but we preferred it with a little chill, straight out of the frig, which also gave the flavors some time to get yummy and acquainted. This is a good make-ahead app and is super Super Bowl-worthy.

PS: my go-to cocktail napkins: robins egg blue pearls.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Yummy, I am so happy you post about new BC recipes...I find I'm always more tempted when someone else has tried and endorsed it.

Have a great week.

So,
Karen