11.03.2011

saturday morning coffee [cake].

One of Eddie's favorite things in life is coffee. And a close second is coffee cake. So, I've baked a few here and there, and now I really love it, too. I love baking it on Saturday mornings. I love baking it for gifting. For nibbling. Really, for anything, but especially for Eddie.
One of our all-time favs is Smitten Kitchen's Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake, which I found thanks to Ashley, who has such good taste and has never steered me wrong (note to self: need to revisit her recipe file). If you are a chocolate lover, this really is the best you'll ever have.

But, if you're a basic coffee cake person, with no fancy additions, just soft, spongey, sugary coffee cake, this is the one for you, and now, it's the one for us. The BC's Sour Cream Coffee Cake (from Barefoot Contessa Parties!, page 37) gets a simple drizzle of maple syrup + powdered sugar to ice it off, and it pairs nicely with College Game Day in the Fall.
I think you should enjoy this this first November weekend.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
From Barefoot Contessa Parties!, page 37
Serves 8 to 10

12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1-1/2 sticks) at room temperature
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 extra large eggs at room temperature
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups sour cream
2-1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

For the streusel
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

For the glaze
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons real maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or use this, one of my favorite products) a 10-inch tube pan.

Cream the butter and the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.

For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble, like wet sand. Mix in the walnuts, if desired.

Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. I found a small cheese spreader worked well in and around the tube pan. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan, spread it out and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer cake, streusel-side up, onto a serving plate. Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to thin the glaze. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon. Ooze down the side is good.

This cake gets better and better as the days pass. I recommend making it a day before you plan to eat it. If you can wait that long.

*The BC offers this note on cake flour: If you don't have it, you can substitute 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/4 cup cornstarch. Which is what I did. When I realized my cake flour expired in 2010.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Alison,
Thanks for this...I often think about baking a coffee cake the morning of the day but end up not having everything I need. I'm shopping for ingredients tomorrow so that Saturday or Sunday morning of this weekend I can bake one of these.
Yummy!
Karen

ashley maureen said...

oh my gosh, i just clicked the link to my recipes and realized i haven't posted one since APRIL! help.

Paige Greenspan said...

Alison-
Have you ever made the BC coffee cake the night before??? I was thinking of trying it for Easter. I hope you are doing great!

-Paige G.