10.26.2011

on the brain: christmas stockings.

I've been waiting for a little person to arrive in my life so I could re-think our Christmas stockings, and now that we have a new little family of three, I've been doing some window shopping. Here's what I've found so far.
{From Pottery Barn :: Channel Quilted Velvet Stocking and Reindeer Woodland Stocking}
{From Suzanne Kasler's Collection at Ballard Designs :: Burlap Stocking and Linen Stocking}
I like what I'm seeing, but I'm not in love. I'm as particular about the personalized embroidery as I am about the actual stocking, and it's hard to find something really special... which is why I'm toying with the idea of making stockings for our family. My mom needlepointed (is that a word?) our Christmas stockings, and there's something really special about having something made, just for you, for the most special time of the year.

I thought it might be nice to keep up with the tradition my mom started, but it would involve several hours and re-learning how to sew. I may have already made a trip to Jo-Ann's to get some fabric inspiration. I might even use something I've clipped on Pinterest.

Wheels = turning. Or, maybe this is all crazy talk. But it would be a fun project. I think.

PS: links to stockings welcome, if you have found any you love!

4 comments:

ashley maureen said...

what is it with our heads being in christmas mode already? i spent a little while working on our card today!

Monique said...

Alison! I was just looking at stockings for our little family as well! I can't find anything I LOOOOVE either. I used to needlepoint, but that sounds like a huge project. Let me know next time you go to JoAnns, I might join you!

mary said...

when we first got married, i found an amazing etsy seller from brooklyn who made these: http://tulipsandflightsuits.squarespace.com/tulips-flight-suits/2010/12/22/our-stockings.html which we just love! i just reached out to her to see if she'd make one for our little one on the way. HIGHLY recommend her -- they're amazing! xo

betsy said...

You can find hand knit stockings, monogrammed on front with birthdate on back pretty reasonably on ETSY.
I bought for my grandkids 2 years apart and could find the same retro Santa holding a tree for them both. Just do a search - have fun!