9.09.2011

good-for-you cookies.

I have never been a Real Housewives fan. Gasp. Hope I'm not offending anyone. But, now I'm at least a fan of one housewife.

Remember when I mentioned that new baby = food from thoughtful friends and family? Yet another neighbor showered us in Mari's first week of life with delicious vegan chocolate-y banana-y cookies. I have been craving them ever since and scoured the internet to find them, and turns out Bethenny Frankel is behind these little nuggets of healthy goodness.
They're super easy and chewy, which is what I like best about them. And, in these post-partum days, I'm all for a healthier cookie. Also, without any egg, you can indulge in as much batter as you want. My kind of cookie.

Vegan Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Bethenny Frankel's original recipe
Yield: 2 dozen+ small cookies

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup raw organic sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cup oat flour*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large overripe bananas**
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, vanilla, oat flour, baking soda and salt.

In a separate small bowl, peel and mash bananas using a pastry cutter or potato masher. Add the mashed bananas to the large bowl mixture, stir to mix and fold in the chocolate chips (and then taste the batter - YUM! (no raw egg!)).

Spoon batter into teaspoon-sized balls onto cookie sheets (a melon baller or small ice cream scoop does a nice job for this) and bake for 15 minutes until cookies are golden brown.
*If you cannot find oat flour, or prefer not to buy it, I learned that you can make your own by using old fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick cooking) and your favorite electric blender. We used the Cuisinart, added a few cups of oats and blended until they turned into a fine powder. And that, says the world wide web, is oat flour.
**Freeze your bananas when they start to turn and try this if you love baking with bananas.

PS: The banana and chocolate combo is so good, but next time, I'm thinking I will go not-so-Vegan and add peanut butter chips. Can you imagine that banana + peanut butter goodness?

PSS: You may notice that this kitchen does not look a whole lot like my kitchen. It belongs to my mom, and next week, I'll have a peak at her dream kitchen!

1 comment:

paige g said...

Can't wait to try both your banana recipes since every week we always seem to have a leftover banana. But whenever I freeze them (i peel first and put in a ziploc) and put them in the fridge to defrost they always get really liquidy. what am i doing wrong?!?!