8.18.2011

mom milestone: dinner for two.

Well, three, if you count Mari. I finally cooked for the first time since she was born, and I even set the table. I didn't get too ambitious, and I took a cue from busy mom Brenna over at Paper & Ink to try this fabulously easy and creamy (but not milk-creamy) pasta.
I got the Cuisinart out, which made me really happy (it's been a while), and felt good about making this creamy sauce that gets it's silkiness from avocados, and not cream. For some protein, I added chicken (cut straight from a Vons ready-to-eat whole roasted chicken) and added a sprinkling of reserved pasta water to thin the sauce just a bit.

This 15-minutes-or-less guiltless recipe gets three cheers. Next time I may make it with whole grain pasta and feel really guiltless.

Creamy Avocado Pasta from Oh She Glows (via Paper & Ink)
Yield: 2 servings

2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ripe avocado, pitted
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 oz. dried pasta of choice (I used angel hair)
freshly ground black pepper

Bring water to a boil for the pasta and cook according to directions. Reserve a small amount of pasta water to thin the sauce, if preferred.

In a food processor, add garlic cloves, lemon juice and olive oil and pulse until smooth. Add the avocado, basil and salt. Process until creamy.

When pasta is done cooking, drain and add back to pot or serving bowl. Pour sauce over the pasta and toss to combine. At this point, add pasta water if you'd like to thin the sauce.

Top with lemon zest and black pepper.

(On a slightly related blog note, I did some re-org with the labels. It's my hope, now that I'm on maternity leave, that I'll attempt new recipes at other times than just the weekends, so I've ditched 'new wknd recipes' for simply: recipes. And, in doing more consolidation, I removed 'in the kitchen.' Questions/comments? Let me know what works for you.)

1 comment:

Karen said...

Alison,
That looks delicious. Your runner is from your wedding, isn't it? So pretty. Glad you are able to have a nice dinner!
Karen