6.07.2011

dreaming of: ranger cookies.

I'm still here, for the record. I have inspiration flying at me in all sorts of ways these days and I wish I was capturing it better. There are lots of little projects underway - some glam, but many not-so-glam, which have been keeping it real: we are closing in on the nine month marker and we still have a long to do list. I am starting to understand that it will just keep growing, and that's okay.

Among all this 'stuff' crowding the brain, I have had one constant craving: my mom's Ranger Cookies. I have visions of munching on them, in the hospital, right after the babe is born. 'Job well done, Alison! Have a cookie!'

Is that weird? Not really, if you've ever tasted her cookies.
You don't have to love oatmeal cookies to love these. They are the sweetest, slightly salty, moist-est and most tasty oatmeal-ish cookies ever. Even chocolate fans applaud these guys. I think it's the coconut that does the magic here, and every time I buy a bag, I try to find other fun ways to use it because I'm reminded how yummy it is. Maybe someday, when I get my baking legs back, I'll finally try The BC's famous cake.

Until then, promise me you'll try these. Soon. They are the perfect summer cookie. For a picnic. For a baseball game. For poolside. Or, you know, for just after the birth of your first child.

Ranger Cookies from my mom
Yield: about 4 dozen

1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups corn flakes
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together butter with the sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time.

Sift together the flower, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture in a few batches, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Scrap down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Add vanilla, oats, cereal, coconut and nuts. Mix until just blended.

Drop batter by rounded teaspoon or ice cream scoop onto cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.

PS: besides dipping in a cool glass of milk, my favorite way to enjoy Ranger Cookies (especially with company) is to sandwich vanilla bean ice cream between two cookies. The. Best. Treat. Ever.

1 comment:

Lesley Elliott said...

Al, I am NOT kidding. My grandma has almost the same recipe and calls them the "World's Best Cookies" except they aren't moist, they are more like a crisp snap cookie, but they are TO DIE FOR. I will for sure try these Ranger Cookies to see how they may differ. Love you!