4.12.2011

new wknd recipe: lemon, ginger and white chocolate scones

Yay; finally, a new weekend recipe. On Saturday, I finally tended to my scone craving that's been lingering ever since our Scottsdale visit to Olive & Ivy. I can still taste that crumbly, moist scone with a tint of lemon that was absolute perfection.
When scone baking, I don't venture far. The BC has never let me down, but I found this Pithy & Cleaver recipe that looked too good to pass up. After a delicious experience baking with ginger, I had a feeling this would not disappoint, and it didn't. Scone fans, rejoice.

Lemon-ginger-white chocolate Scones from Pithy and Cleaver (with a few notes)
Yield: 24(ish) small/medium scones

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
3 sticks butter, cold and cubed
1 egg
3/4 cups buttermilk
zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped

Extras:
1 egg + water for eggwash
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients and mix lightly: flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and powdered ginger.

Add the butter and mix until the butter is broken down into the size of small peas or coarse bread crumbs.

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and lemon zest, and slowly add to the butter mixture. The dough will be sticky.

Add the white chocolate and crystallized ginger and mix until just blended.

Dump the dough out to a lightly floured surface or pastry board, and shape or roll out the dough to about 3/4-to-1 inch thick. It helps to flour your hands and rolling pin. You want to see lumps of butter in the dough. That's the good stuff.

Cut by hand or with a cookie cutter (I used a fluted square cutter and halved into triangles) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Lightly brush the tops of each scone with the egg wash mixture: beat one egg with a drizzle of water. Sprinkle with sugar and bake 25-30 minutes, until scones are golden brown.
A few scone baking notes:
+ On butter: before you do anything, cube the butter and put it back into the frig, cubed, to keep it nice and cold until you are ready to use it.
+ I used a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to do all my mixing; Pithy & Cleaver used a pastry cutter and some elbow grease. I love a pastry cutter, but I love my stand mixer more.
+ I let my rolling pin hang out in the freezer while I prep and mix, so it's nice and cold when I'm ready to use it. This random tip came from a nice lady at Williams-Sonoma a few years ago, when I attempted my first pie crust.
+ Buttermilk trick reminder: here. I just hate buying it and wasting it.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

What an interesting flavor combo ... these look amazing! :)