3.23.2011

loving...

Blackberries!
I routinely rotate them into my berry purchases, but I've always been a raspberry girl. Lately, though, the blackberries have been tasting so great. They also stand up to being water-rinsed so much better than the delicate raspberry.
{via Oregon Berries}
I'm not giving up on you, little raspberries, but as long as I'm buying a pint of you, I'm also picking up a pint - or two, in yesterday's case - of blackberries.

Did you know how much punch they pack? In a pregnancy mag, I recently read that they are a good source of Omega-3s, which was news to me. After some more reading, I find, like lots of dark fruits and veggies, they are high in antioxidants and contain soluble fiber. They also contain twice the amount of protein than do blueberries.

All good stuff for all of us, but especially for the bump.

I like eating them straight from the colander, and I've never really cooked with them, but now I might. Look how easy it is to get sidetracked, daydreaming about summer:

+ Marscapone Cheese Custard with Blackberry Sauce
+ Peanut Butter Cookies with Blackberry Jam
+ Orange and Blackberry Trifle

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I LOVE blackberry season. There is a tiny window in Oregon when they are HUGE and so juicy and soooo good! A little jealous you have them now! :)

Saara {www.varv.ca} said...

When they are good, they are REALLY good! I love raspberries too though.