2.16.2011

a cheerful morning.

Freshly grated ginger + lemon zest = a very cheerful Saturday morning. Remember Molly's post on Marion Cunningham's fresh ginger muffins? I attempted on Saturday morning ... and after a walk to the market, I opted to make a 'side' of lemon-y cream cheese frosting for spreading. For Saturday night dessert with the fam.
I followed Molly's recipe step-by-step, and instead made mini muffins, because well, I'm a mini-bake-type, and the little cakes of heaven were delicious. Another keeper from Molly and Marion.

Note: Molly's recipe yielded 36 mini's, and I shaved the baking time by a couple of minutes. Mini bonus. The little muffins are best when eaten warm, and would make lovely hostess/housewarming gifts or as a side bread at a brunch or shower.

For the frosting, I used a Paula Deen butter-less (yes; you read that right) and tart grapefruit cream cheese frosting recipe as a guide. I didn't frost each muffin individually, so I'm not sure how far this will get you. It's enough for a medium-sized bowl of yum.
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1-1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted (more to taste)

In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese at medium speed until fluffy. Add the lemon juice and zest and beat to mix. Gradually blend in sugar and mix until smooth.

Frost, dip or smear on muffins.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Alison,
Mouth-watering deliciousness.
Karen