1.12.2011

new wknd recipe: apple turnovers.

I have been a selective eater for the past three months, due to the bump. One thing that always sounds good: dessert. Dessert which involves apples, to be exact.
My parents came up for dinner over the weekend, and brought a feast of lasagne, salad and crusty bread. To finish it off, I tried a puff pastry-inspired dessert that I knew my dad would love: The BC's apple turnovers, which you can also find in Back to Basics on page 196. I like this recipe for it's short prep and cooking time, and make-ahead-and-refrigerate-until-baking friendliness.
Apple Dried Cherry Turnovers from The Barefoot Contessa
Yield: 8 turnovers

1 teaspoon grated orange zest
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
1-1/4 pounds tart apples (about 3 apples; I used Granny Smith)
3 tablespoons dried cherries
3 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of kosher salt
1 package (17.3 oz / 2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

One day before baking: defrost puff pastry in refrigerator overnight. On recommendation from Garden, Home & Party, I used Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry.

Day of baking: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line two sheet pans with parchment paper. Keep your pastry chilled in the frig until ready to use in a few steps.

Combine the orange zest and orange juice in a medium bowl. Peel, quarter and core the apples and then cut them into 3/4-inch dice*. Immediately toss the apples with the zest and juice to prevent them from turning brown. Add the cherries, sugar flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. (Taste. Should taste like apple pie filling. Don't miss this part.)

Flour a pastry board and lightly roll each sheet of puff pastry to a 12x12-in. square. Cut each sheet into 4 (6x6-in.) squares. (I like keeping my rolling pin chilled in the freezer until this step. I don't know if it really helps, but I think, in general, dough likes chill.)

Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash and neatly place about 1/3 cup of the apple mixture on half of the square. Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges of the pastry with a fork. Transfer to your sheet pan and brush the tops with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and make 2 small slits in each turnover to allow for steam (at this point, the BC says you can refrig. until ready to bake, which I did).
Bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and browned.

This is apple pie simplified, and I will be making it again. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream, of course.

*For some more notes on peeling, coring, dicing and baking with apples: see this.

PS: are you loving the new-ish Cooking Channel as much as I am?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Ooh, these look so good! And, so much easier than a whole pie.

Karen said...

Alison,
I've wanted to try this recipe...this is visual motivation! Thanks.
Karen

Lisa said...

These will be fantastic with some of that sparkling white sugar from KAF. Thanks for sharing the recipe in the cookbook and now on the blog!