12.17.2010

one week to go.

Oh, the last weekend before Christmas is upon us! I'm starting my day with last-minute shopping, and I'm actually looking forward to the list-crossing. Before I skip out, I wanted to share my all-time favorite toasty beverage for the season: The BC's Mulled Wine. Try it this weekend. It makes the house smell like Christmas and it warms the taste buds and the soul.
{via Crate & Barrel}
Mulled Wine from The Barefoot Contessa
4 cups apple cider
1 bottle (750-ml) red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon (something you'd uncork and drink)
1/4 cup honey
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange, zested and juiced
4 whole cloves
3 star anise
4 oranges, peeled for garnish

Combine the cider, wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, zest, juice, cloves and star anise in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Pour into mugs, add an orange peel to each and serve (maybe even into glass mugs like the ones to the left - I can confidently say that they're perfect for this warm drink!).



Note: I usually double this recipe, and once heated, I let it sit on the stove covered... for hours. It's that delightful. Merry weekend, all!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Alison,

Thanks for the recipe. I love spiced cider.
Karen