12.28.2010

a little late, but worth the wait.

I hope everyone had a bright and merry holiday! On Christmas eve eve, I finally got some baking in, and though it wasn't my all-time favorite (sugar cookies), it's a very close second. It is, however, at the top of my family's list: Kahlua Cake.
This might be the easiest bread/cake you ever make, and it will quickly become a favorite. It's super moist and fluffy and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Having friends over for New Year's? Cheers to midnight with Kahlua Cake.

My mom makes this in large loaf pans, and this year, Whitney, made the cake into mini bundt cakes, similar to {frolic!}'s suggestion. Note to self: get one of these because they were a-dor-a-ble. (Whitney also finished them off with a dusting of snow - I mean - powdered sugar. Cute.)

My mom's Kahlua Cake
1 box of Yellow Cake Mix (suggestion: Duncan Hines Extra Moist)
1 small (5.9 oz.) box of instant chocolate pudding
1/2 cup Kahlua
1/4 cup Vodka
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup water
4 eggs, room temperature

for the glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Kahlua
1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or grease two large loaf pans or one bundt cake pan*. Mix all ingredients together (a stand mixer with paddle attachment makes this extra easy), adding the eggs one at a time. Pour mixture evenly into pans and bake for 50 minutes or until done.

Let cool for at least 20 minutes in pan and get your glaze ready: combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Pour over cake as desired (I skimp on the glaze, so I usually have plenty leftover). Cool completely before removing from pan.

*You might remember: I'm a mini loaf person, so this recipe yielded 5 mini loaves, and I shaved the cooking time by about 10 minutes (and, I have an unpredictable oven, so keep an eye on 'em depending on yours).

Two more quick notes:
Disposable loaf pans from the market work well with the glaze, because you can play with the pan to widen it to allow for ample drippage and soakage down the sides of the cake.

If you're serving (or gifting) within a day or two of baking, wrap tightly with plastic wrap after cooling, and keep in the refrigerator. This cake also freezes well, tightly wrapped, for at least a month (and I'm sure for more).

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh yum! That looks amazing ... and something my family would love.

Hope you had a great Christmas! :)

michelle Oyler said...

Kahlua and Vodka! No wonder I ate the whole thing!!!
Thanks for posting cuz I would have been asking for this recipe. YUM!!!