11.16.2010

inspired by: calligraphy basics.

As promised... I have a details to share from Friday's Paper Source date with Whitney and my mom. We spent the night listening to jolly Christmas tunes in one of my favorite places, while we oooh'd and ahhh'd over pretty penmanship, and learned the basics of pointed pen calligraphy.
Our instructor was Mary Grimes, who has been writing beautifully since her first calligraphy class in 1985. We learned some basics of Copperplate, using a 6B Derwent, and then moved onto the real deal - which was as exciting as it was frustrating. If I didn't before, I now have the utmost respect for hand calligraphers, especially Miss Bianca, who, with every upstroke, downstroke and flourish makes letters simply irresistible.
We learned about nibs, ink, pen pressure and paper and it felt more like art than handwriting. And it was so fun. Lots of practice to come, but after a three hour tour of the basics, I am ready for it. (Not like when I first attempted to teach myself and gave up after about 5 minutes.)
Mary referred us to learn more about the art of calligraphy, including materials, workshops, etc. at IAMPETH.

Bonus of taking a Paper Source class... shopping with a 10% discount. Yes: the coasters really are as cute in person as they are online.
I was feeling the Christmas spirit, and brought these home:
Thinking: gift tags.

PS: really hard to resist the most perfect Christmas-tree-scented candle. Must return. Soon.

4 comments:

Jessica Root said...

Wow! What a great store and class! I have been yearning for some calligraphy lessons...you've inspired me to search. Sounds like it was a great weekend! What a great way to commence the upcoming holiday season.

Bianca Mascorro said...

I'm absolutely thrilled to pieces to see you took a class!!!! Can't wait to see your work- I know you'll be stellar!

Karen said...

I love the pointed pen calligraphy (Copperplate)---I took a series of classes a year or so ago---fun but challenging. I know you'll master it in no time.

Love the store---I could take one of everything in there---if I had room!

Karen

Jenn said...

How fun! I used to love calligraphy when I was really little, but didn't keep up with it. Maybe I need to check my paper source for a refresher class :)