8.18.2010

novice gardening.


Feeling inspired by Jenny (and with purple on the brain), I made a trip to Lowe's and tackled our very, very neglected window boxes over the weekend.  We live in a beach rental with very little gardening space, that a lot of times, goes untouched.  For months.  Yikes.


I do not have the greenest of thumbs, but I've picked up a few things from my mom and my brother's wife (the one who grew up on a farm), and figured anything would be better than these dead, twisty roots.

Our two, 8-foot window boxes get plenty of sun, and will only get watered once a week due to the required screen-removal situation.  With that in mind, an expert friend recommended sticking with geraniums.  I trust experts and I'm so happy with the end result.  I love seeing the little guys peek up and say hi through the windows.


I'm sorry that I don't have any progress photos share, but if you saw me at any point on Saturday afternoon, you'll understand.  Gardening from your bedroom windows two floors up was more of a workout than I anticipated.  I will say that the whole project took about four hours and involved plastic tarps, painter's tape, four trash bags and several pair of latex gloves (best gardening gloves ever, thanks, Whit) and... a lot of dirt. 

In the boxes.  On the street below.  In our kitchen.  In the bedroom.  In my eyes.  In my neighbor's eyes.

It's good thing Eddie was away for this.  It was not pretty.  I was not graceful.  But my pretty purple flowers are.


Lilac-y and wisteria-y.  Yummy.

2 comments:

Karen said...

You selected the perfect plant for minimal watering. You might also consider interspersing some 1-gallon star jasmine. they trail (like the geranium) and smell heavenly when they bloom. They are pretty hardy and can take sun or shade.

Karen

Whitney said...

They look great! I got you your very own box of gloves at Costco yesterday so you can keep planting away.
xo
whit